We handle all types of theft charges including:
- Larceny, including larceny by false pretense – Larceny is classified depending on the value of the property depending if it is over or under $250. Generally, to obtain a conviction, the prosecutor has to prove you took the property of another with the intent to deprive that person.
- Fraud – Fraud can include identity theft, or unauthorized use of a credit card, or illegally cashing checks. Penalties can go up to 2 1/2 years in prison and a $5000 fine.
- Buying or receiving stolen goods.
- Burglary, Breaking and Entering and Home Invasion – are all crimes that usually involve violence destruction and theft or an intent to steal. It matters in all breaking and entering cases whether it was day or night and whether you had an intent to commit a felony or misdemeanor when you went inside.
- Shoplifting – Shoplifting penalties will also vary depending on the value of the property, and if it is a first, second, or third offense. There is up to a $250 fine for a first offense, $500 for a second, and imprisonment up to 2 years for a third offense. If the value of the property is more than $100 you face up to 2 1/2 years in jail.
An experienced Massachusetts criminal defense lawyer like Scott Bradley will help you present the best possible defense if you have been charged with a theft crime. Any conviction on a theft offense renders you a convicted thief. Even if it seems minor, call Attorney Bradley and protect your future.